Sunday, October 11, 2015

Paleo Kegs and Eggs and A Side of Alma Mater Ohio

Yesterday was homecoming for my alma mater. Considering I was in Ohio for a wedding this summer, we had our own wedding not too long ago, and bought a house, a trip to Athens, OH was not in the cards for me this year. Homecoming is on my adult bucket list. There's something magical about the bricks surrounding campus and walking down Court Street.

Because I am in my thirties and being responsible, kegs and eggs were not a part of my Saturday (then again, alcohol isn't part of Whole30 either, so, there is that) I decided to make my own version of a Saturday morning happy hour while drinking coffee out of one of my favorite mugs.



My coffee? I've been intrigued by Bulletproof coffee, but I haven't "bit the bullet" yet and have made my own version, I had read through a handful of blogs, pins, etc about coconut oil in your coffee. At first, I was repulsed. Then I dumped my coffee into my VitaMix, added some coconut oil, and gave it a whirl (again, literally and figuratively) The results, I don't mind it - at all. Consider that yesterday's version of my keg.

As for breakfast, breakfast is always a challenge. I'm still not fully awake, yet I need to eat something. I ended up making the above, my breakfast of champions!

Breakfast of Champions - Serves 1

2 eggs
1 sweet potato
1/2 cup of spinach
1 small carrot (or a handful of baby carrots)
1/2 pepper (your choice of color)
2 tbsp of oil (I used avocado oil today)
2 tbsp of jumbo lump crab meat (or more, that is all my husband left me...)
Dash of 21 Seasoning Salute (see my prior blog post about this amazing stuff)
Dash of Red Hawaiian Sea Salt

In my food processor, I dumped in all the vegetables and let it do it's job with chopping the veggies up. Then, I peeled the sweet potato and chopped into pieces.

Next, I put the sweet potatoes in my smaller cast iron skillet with 1 tbsp of oil (after heating it up) I ended up cooking those for about 8-9 minutes, letting the edges brown. (Note, we have an induction stove top, so I am still getting used to the various settings and cooking times) I added in some 21 Seasoning Salute while cooking for flavor.

While the sweet potatoes were cooking, I added another tbsp of oil in my other pan (I used my AllClad skillet) After the oil heated up, I scraped in the veggies and from the food processor and the added the jumbo lump crab for about a minute. I then added in my two eggs and scrambled them up. While cooking, I added in a dash of the 21 Seasoning Salute onto the eggs as well!

I had my breakfast ready in about 15 minutes. I sat down and spent my morning watching College Game Day and living vicariously through all of the Facebook posts my friends and alumni connections were sharing. I was a bit jealous.

Stand up and cheer...











No comments :

Post a Comment